Loading...
Monday 24 February 2020

Punctuation Marks in English Grammar

Mark
Name
Example
.
Full stop/ period
I like English.

,
Comma
I speak English, French and Thai.

;
Semi-colon
I don’t often go swimming; I prefer to play tennis
:
Colon
You have two choices: finish the work today or lose the contract.

-
Hyphen
This is a rather out-of date book


_
Dash
In each town-London, Paris and Rome- we stayed in south hostels

?
Question mark
Where is Shangri-La?

!
Exclamation Mark
“Help!” she cried. “I’m drowning!”

/
Oblique/slash
Please press your browser’s Refresh/Reload button.
Quotation marks
“I love you,” she said.

Apostrophe
This is John’s car.

( )
Round bracket
I went to Bangkok (my favorite city) and stayed there for two weeks.
[ ]
Square brackets
The newspaper reported that the hostages [most of them French] had been released.
Ellipsis
One happy customer wrote: “This is the best program…that I have ever seen.”


punctuation marks in English Grammar
summary of punctuation marks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
TOP